SPECIAL MALAY BURSARY (SMB) - POLYTECHNIC (ALREADY CLOSED FOR APPLICATION)
- Before 1995, the Public Service Commission (PSC) administered the Special Malay Bursary (SMB) for Malay students studying in the local tertiary institutions. In 1995, MENDAKI took over the administration of the SMB.
You are eligible to apply for the bursary if:
- You are a Malay Singapore Citizen and have been residing in Singapore for at least 5 years immediately before being admitted to the institution
- You are commencing first-year studies in a full-time Diploma course in any of the following institutions;
- Nanyang Polytechnic
- Ngee Ann Polytechnic
- Singapore Polytechnic
- Temasek Polytechnic
- Republic Polytechnic
- You obtained outstanding results in:
- Singapore Cambridge GCE ‘O’ or GCE ‘A’ level examinations, preferably with 2 distinctions; or
- Nitec / Higher Nitec with cumulative GPA score of 3.5 and above
- You possess good records of active participation in co-curricular activities (CCA)
- Successful applicants will be enlisted for “compulsory” volunteerism in MENDAKI or its affiliates. Polytechnic students are required to serve 76 days (or 532 hours).
- Applicants must apply and complete the admission procedures required by the institutions. They must inform MENDAKI on the outcome of their application to the institution. Applicants who are successful in obtaining a place in the institution must apply for MENDAKI Tertiary Tuition Fee Subsidy (TTFS) scheme if the family per capita income does not exceed $1,500.
- Applicants from the low-income family will be given priority.
- Interviews will be held for short listed candidates after they have been accepted by the Polytechnic. Successful candidate will need to furnish two guarantors.
- Living allowance worth $1,700 per annum is available each year to successful candidates.
- Tuition fee either at 100%, 75% or 50% based on your application for TTFS, as mentioned above.